Musings of a morbid mind

The general ravings of Scott Baldwin

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Independence (Writing task)

I am currently living in Buenos Aires and have hooked up with a group of ex-pat writers who are meeting once a week to discuss their current work and generally help and inspire each other. One of the benefits is that we get to hear some really awesome pieces of work in progress literature, and comment on them. Another great thing, although I must admit a little scary, is that we usually do a writing exercise. We are given a topic, or some other form of inspiration, and asked to do a 5 minute stream of consciousness writing on the theme. Last week was both American Independence day (4th of July), and Argentinean Independence day (9th of July), so the theme was independence. I approached the task from the negative (ie how dependant I am). This approach I blamed on being the only Australian in the group, and Australia not really having an independence day as we are still bound to Mother England by an umbilical chord that refuses to be cut. I thought I'd start posting the writing tasks on this blog, just becasue no-one reads this blog anymore, and I figured I may as well.

 

Independence

I am a geek. I have every gadget known to mankind, and even a few that aren't. Over the oast few weeks one of the gadgets that I love most started to die... my phone. It's not just a phone, it's my calendar, my notepad, email and internet access, GPS guidance system, link to the world. Not being able to trust this pandoras box has made me realize just how dependant I have become on this piece of technology. I contract out to it many functions that in the past would only require a good memory. Phone numbers addresses, dates,  meeting places etc.... I am totally dependant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home