Musings of a morbid mind

The general ravings of Scott Baldwin

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Disneyland

It was always a childhood dream of my sister and me to visit Disney land, but 2 things made this dream impossible as a child. Firstly, we were never really well off enough to afford such a trip, and secondly, my father would never have flown. As we got older, we learned to sublimate our childhood yearnings for such frivolous fun into a cynical critique of western consumerism and that seemed to satisfy us as adults. I had pretty much resigned to the fact that I was never going to see Disneyland, as there was no real reason for me to go out of my way to visit Anaheim California. It wasn’t until I booked my tickets for the BUILD Windows conference which just so happened to be in Anaheim, that the question arose again.

I struggled with the question of wether to go or not, I wasn’t quite sure how the leftist, sceptical adult that I had become would react when faced with some of the most banal displays of western consumerism known to man kind. However, I figured that the odds of me being that close to Disneyland again were pretty slim, and I may as well suck it up.

I decided to go the day before the conference. I was advised to take plenty of water, and food as the prices in Disneyland were extortionate. I payed my $80 entry fee, and proceeded.

DSC01884 

I have to say that Disneyland certainly had a magical charm to it. I discovered that my inner child had not quite been strangled to death by the cynical adult, and in fact both of them were able to have some fun that day. Although primarily for children, the people at Disneyland had not forgotten that children often drag adults along with them, and so there was adult based entertainment as well. I stopped by the Disneyland opera house and saw an animatronics feature called “Memorable moments with Lincoln”, and I was reminded powerfully of just how much the civil war still impacts on the psyche of Americans today.

DSC01890

The one ride that I really wanted to go on “Pirates of the Caribbean” was closed, so I had to make do with others. I enjoyed the splash mountain and the Thunder Mountain rides. Also The American rivers cruise on the steam boat was very relaxing.

DSC01886

There was also a demonstration of the robot ASIMOV in tomorrow land which was aimed more at children, but had enough content to keep the science geek in me happy.

I decided to abuse my digestive system and try a corn dog from the “traditional corn dog stand”, and it lived up to my expectations, which is more a reflection on my lack of expectations than any quality on the part of the corn dog. It reminded me of the pluto pups we used to get in Australia as a kid, although, I have to say pluto pups are much better.

I stuck around for the parade which is the main event in Disneyland. It was an extravagant display of all of the Disney cartoon characters bought to life with music and dancing, and I could see how children would really enjoy it.

All in all, I enjoyed my day out, but I think it would be much more fun either as a kid, or with a group of friends. I don’t think I’d go back if I was in the area, I’d probably prefer to spend the day in LA and catch a milonga, but I’m glad I finally had the opportunity to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home